New to Yoga?
If you've never practiced yoga before, we know that the thought of signing up and attending a class can be intimidating - we feel you! We've all had to start somewhere, and you're not alone! At GODA, we love beginners and teaching you to move into your body and your breath. If you're newer to the practice, consider the following classes to get you started:
Here's what you need to know, and what you DON'T need to worry about!
1. Yoga is for EVERY BODY. If you have a body and a heartbeat, you can practice yoga! Yoga is not about touching your toes or contorting yourself into a pretzel; it is about making time to connect to your body and your breath and de-stressing your life - anybody can do it!
2. You don't need to be flexible. You don't need to be strong. All you need is an open mind.
3. DO allow yourself to be a beginner, especially if you are! Try to leave your self-criticism at the door and just allow yourself to move, breathe and learn.
4. You do not need a yoga mat or yoga props. GODA Yoga provides mats, blocks, straps and blankets at no charge.
5. Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in. Plan to practice without shoes or socks.
6. Leave your cell phone in the car or turned off in one of the studio's provided storage cubbies. Let this time for your practice be your time to unplug and reconnect with yourself without the distractions of technology.
7. Remove your shoes before entering a yoga studio. It is a sign of respect for the sacred space of the practice.
8. Know that the more often you practice, the greater the benefits will be and the more you will feel the difference in your mind and body. We recommend 2-3 times a week if possible, more if you can!
9. Bring water or a small towel with you if you get sweaty! We have water bottles available at the studio for purchase or for free if you check in to social media while you are here. We provide a filtered water cooler to refill your personal water bottle.
10. Most importantly, listen to yourself and your body. Let go of expectations, allow yourself to have good days and bad days and let your practice be a way to check in and give yourself what you need.
11. Don't worry about what your poses look like! Every body is different and postures will look different in everyone's body. Your instructor will help you make adjustments to find the pose expression that feels best in your body, but don't compare yourself. On your mat, YOU DO YOU.
12. Know that you will not be judged. Not ever. GODA Yoga is an incredibly welcoming, warm, accepting community. We are thrilled to welcome newcomers and we hope you will love our yoga family as much as we do.
13. We suggest arriving at least 15 minutes prior to the start of class to "ease in" and give yourself enough time to sign in, select yoga props, and set up your practice space.
14. If you ever find yourself over-challenged or fatigued in the middle of a class, it is COMPLETELY OKAY to stop and rest. We suggest catching your breath in Child's Pose!
15. Be sure to drink lots of water after class to prevent dehydration.
Namaste and we hope to meet you soon!